What is a Beta reader?
A Beta read is an overview of your manuscript from the perspective of an average reader. Each Beta read includes a comprehensive questionnaire to which authors may add additional questions. I read for plot, pacing, character development, and style.
Why hire me as your Beta reader?
Great question! I could tell you about my writing experience (newspaper columnist, magazine writer, short-story and novel writer) or that I’ve been reading all my life (average a book a week). I could say it’s because I respect that you can’t spend a fortune to get another set of eyes on your manuscript. I could mention that I honor deadlines and contracts. All of that is true. But who cares? Shouldn’t all of that be a given? You’d certainly hope that a paid Beta reader would have experience, offer fair rates, and get your critiques back to you in a timely manner. Here’s the real reason you should hire me to be your Beta reader: I want to do it. I like reading, and offering helpful feedback instead of just, “It’s good, I like it.” For anything to be successful, it should start with passion. I have it. So, hire me. If it turns out I totally suck, you won’t be out much money, but you’ll still have gotten that extra set of eyes on your manuscript.
What I Provide with Beta Reading
- Readability of your manuscript. In other words, how quickly did I read your book, how much did I enjoy it, and where did it drag?
- Reader’s opinion. As a reader, what did I think of your plot, your characters, and your writing style?
- Positives and negatives. What about your book did I love or hate?
- Questions. As a reader, what questions did I have about the story? It’s up to you to decide whether this is what you want readers to be asking themselves when reading.
- Editorial evaluation. What do I, as an editor, think your manuscript needs in the way of further editorial services?
Here is a sample of a completed questionnaire
What I Don’t Provide with Beta Reading
- Offer suggestions that take away your voice as an author.
- Post feedback online. Beta reading is different from a book review.
- Attempt to rewrite your story for you. I don’t have the time to write your book.
- Copy edit or proofread your story. That is not what a professional beta reader does.
- No sugar coating or coddling you. As an author you deserve completely honest and objective feedback.
- YA, Romance, Children’s Books, Mystery, Horror, Thriller, Crime.
Service Fees and Turnaround
- $150 up to 100,000 words
For manuscripts in excess of 100,000 words please fill out this form for a quote
- 10-day minimum depending on word count.
Fill out this form to get started!
Or if you have any questions before you begin please fill out the form below!